| Sunrise in the Northern Cascades, Oct. 7, 2018 |
On October 7th, 2018, I woke up around 4:45am, prepared my last instant coffee and instant oatmeal, changed into my hiking clothes, packed up my gear, put on my headlamp and hit the trail at 5:45. For most of Washington, I’d started hiking sometime between 8-9:30 each morning. The mornings were cold, dark, and often wet, my body was tired from hiking over 2,000 miles, and most days I just couldn’t get motivated to leave my warm sleeping bag until it was at least light outside. So why, on this day, my last day on the PCT, was I able to get up and start hiking before sunrise? Well, mostly, I wanted desperately to sleep in a bed that night, so I wanted to hike not only to the Northern Terminus (the “finish line” of the PCT going Northbound), but all the way to Manning Park Resort (approximately 8.5 miles past the finish line), and it meant pulling a really long day, and if I wanted any chance at doing that, I had to start hiking early. So was that the motivation I needed to get going before sunrise? Knowing that I was close enough to finish and possibly be able to sleep in a warm bed and never have to shiver myself to sleep in a wet tent ever again?
But you know, the morning just before this, I’d started
hiking around 8:30. And what if I’d gotten up an hour or two earlier on that
morning and the morning before that? Then I’d have fewer miles to walk today
and would definitely make it to the bed, the hot shower and the warm meal that
awaited me at Manning Park. And come to think of it, if I’d just gotten up a
little earlier each day of the whole dang hike, maybe I wouldn’t be out here
still hiking in October. So why am I able to get up early today, but I couldn’t
get myself up and moving all those other days?
During my time on the PCT, I got in the habit of doing a lot
of “if onlys”. If only I’d gotten up earlier, if only I hadn’t spent so much
time in that town. It’s easy to get really self-critical, especially if you start comparing yourself to other hikers. Why am I so lazy? Why
am I so slow? Why can’t I get myself up, packed and on trail in less than an
hour? Why does my pack still feel so heavy; why haven’t I gotten stronger? I
can’t believe I wasted half an hour going down some side trail because I
misread a sign; why am I so stupid? Why am I almost out of food a day before
town yet again; why have I still not figured out how much food to carry between
towns; why am I such an idiot?
Somewhere between miles 2000-2100, I made a promise to
myself. No more feeling guilty about making mistakes on my hike. No more self-criticism
or judgment allowed. Enough was enough. Only self-love. I’m just going to do my
best for the rest of the hike and love myself.
I can’t say that I fully kept this promise and didn’t curse
myself ever again for the rest of the hike. But I did try my best, when I felt
those guilty thoughts creeping in and heard those judgmental voices making
their noise, to quiet them and just tell myself that, well that’s OK. That’s OK
that I slept that extra half hour. That’s OK that I sat down for a few minutes
to eat my snack instead of eating it while I walked. That’s OK that I didn’t
make my mileage goal for the day, yet again. That’s OK that I didn’t finish the
PCT by mid-September, when I’d hoped I might.
And on my last day, I had to remind myself again that what’s
done is done. I couldn’t get up earlier those other mornings because I just
couldn’t. And I couldn’t have hiked any faster because I couldn’t. And even
though the weather that last day was crap; the trail was muddy from recent
rains, I had to climb up a snowy pass, I was cold most of the day, and maybe if
I’d finished the trail a few weeks sooner, the weather wouldn’t have sucked so
much for my last day… there was nothing I could do about it.
All there was left to do was love myself. Love my strong
body, my amazing legs and feet that kept walking for 2,650 miles. Love my hands
for preparing my meals and setting up my tent every night. Love my shoulders
and hips and back, for carrying a 30ish-pound backpack up the West coast of the
United States. Love my mind, for staying strong and focused when things got
tough. And love all of myself, for completing this incredible feat.
So fast-forward three months… How am I doing at practicing
self-love off the trail? Turns out that it’s pretty easy to get down on myself over
little mistakes in everyday, non-trail life, too. Why did I impulsively buy
that thing I couldn’t afford and didn’t really need? Why did I eat that third
cookie? Why didn’t I finish that job application yet? I’m currently going
through a bout of depression and as I fall short of the goals I set for myself
each day and the urgent things I need to get done fall by the wayside, instead
of beating myself up about it, I’m trying to just tell myself that’s OK; I’ll
try again tomorrow, and let it go. Because when you feel like shit, and then
you tell yourself that you’re a terrible, worthless, lazy human being, it only
makes you feel shittier. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we are trying
our best to move through this world and maybe it seems like we’re not doing a
great job of it, but it’s all we can do at the moment.
Finally, I’ll leave you with some words from an expert. In
his TED Talk “Removing Negative Self Talk”, Abria Joseph plays this really cool
looking spaceship instrument and it’s amazing. And also, he says, “I believe
passionately that we can shift the negative voices and stories that are going
on in our minds into positive ones.” He says that when we hear one of these
negative stories, we should ask ourselves three questions:
1)
Is it the truth?
2)
Is it necessary?
3)
Does it improve upon the silence?
I love that third one because well, the silence is
beautiful, isn’t it?

Thanks for writing. It is great to hear how you are doing. Remember God is always with you and He will help you if you just ask. God was with you on the trail and He will be with you as you start this new journey. When it is quiet take a moment and talk to Him. I know He is waiting to talk with you.
ReplyDeleteBarbara
I am always depressed in January. I think it is in my genes as a Nordic person. We will both cheer up soon as the days brighten and nature awakens!
ReplyDelete😍
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing for starting the hike, for finishing it, for writing and posting about it. Letting go of negative self-talk is so hard, but I love what you wrote and you should be so proud of what you’ve accomplished. On the PCT and every day. Thank you for writing and continuing to write.
It's always difficult and rather depressing to come back to"ordinary" life from trekking or travelling. More so in you case as you have certainly done some extraordinary and very long travels.What you have to draw on is the experiences and feelings of joy of overcoming hardships and being one with yourself and your surroundings. You must have a huge cache of such feelings, use them at every opportunity.
ReplyDeleteShould have could have are bad boys, my mother used to say. That is why I hate to teach the conditional. It gives me bad vibes....
ReplyDeleteYou have accomplished something awesome.